Australian Rules football has been the major sport in Northern Tasmania since 1886 when the Northern Tasmanian Football Association was founded. North Launceston Football Club had its beginnings in 1893, when it was called Railway. It competed in the NTFA Junior Competition for three years, winning the premiership in 1895, and then being admitted to the senior competition the following year.
Its name was changed to Essendon Football Club in 1898 and in that year the Club won both senior and junior premierships. At the annual general meeting on May 9th, 1899, the Club's name was changed again to North Launceston Football Club and it retained its red and black uniform. City and Launceston were the other two clubs in the competition at that time.
Since those early days, the Club has gone from strength to strength, however it has always cherished its northern suburbs origins, and still enjoys having the Club referred to as "Swampies".
North Launceston Football Club spent most of the nineteen hundreds with the red robin as its emblem; the teams being known as the Robins. The club name and emblem was changed to the Bombers in 1998.
The Club has a proud record on the field. It has been NTFA premiers on twenty five occasions and runners-up on more than thirty. It won Tasmanian State Premierships in 1905, 1906, 1949, 1952, 1995 and 1998, and was runner-up in the State competition in many other years.
Dr. Frank Madill
A complete history of the North Launceston Football Club can be downloaded here.
Following are extracts from the history book: